Inquiry Based Lesson Plan: WHAT IS A BUTTERFLY?

WHAT IS A BUTTERFLY?

• WHAT I SEE 
  • WHAT I KNOW
  • WHAT I WONDER 

Lesson Plan

Grade: 1

Time: 30 Minutes

Beginning the lesson: The students will explore the nearby butterfly garden. While they are exploring the garden they will observe and note in mind what they see, what they know and what they wonder about butterflies. (This is what the lesson will be based on- not included into time allocated to this activity). 

What I See: The teacher will assign the students into pairs, what they will think, pair and share what they saw when they were outside exploring in the garden. Debrief: Class discussion based on the images of the different types of butterflies.This activity will be done by having the teacher choose the students whose hands are raised and sitting quietly and listening. (5-8 Minutes)

What I Know: The teacher will begin by showing and sharing the GIF of the butterfly whose wings are flapping. They will each receive a q card and write down as much as they can about what they know about butterflies and are welcome to draw a small picture on the backside of their q cards if they finished early. After this part of the activity is completed, they will discuss their findings as a whole class. (5-8 Minutes)

What I Wonder: I noticed the students were interested in drawing butterflies and wondered how to symmetrically make them. If the students are interested in drawing the butterflies then we will explore how to symmetrically draw butterflies using different mediums, such as: watercolour. By following along with the Youtube Video the students will be able to participate in an art activity and explore new relevant skills. This part of the lesson plan will take the majority of the time. (15-20 Minutes)

Video Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZlMeeO_4f8V1QDXvUkw_CpiIjLxydRjD/view

By: Angie Cauthers, Madeline Osgarby & Arnelle Basi