Reflection on Inquiry Based Learning

I believe that inquiry based learning is a diverse and accepting way to include every individual child’s thoughts and ideas. Inquiry based learning allows student’s the opportunity to have a voice and a choice of what they are learning. Students are more likely to be intrigued and motivated to learn if they are choosing what they are learning and how they are learning the material. Inquiry based learning allows students to develop their communications skills, collaborating outside of the classroom, helps them deal with problem-solving and allows them to participate in creation.

There are four types of inquiries which are; confirmation, structured, guided and open inquiry. Confirmation inquiry is when learners are given a question, and there is an end result, which is already known. Structured inquiry is when learners are given the question, but he goal is to provide an explanation that is already supported by the evidence gathered. Guided inquiry is when the learners are only given a question with no answers or results. Open inquiry is when the learners form their own questions and they must show the results in what they have found or find.

There are several benefits for inquiry based learning which include; that it reinforces curriculum content, it warms up the brain for learning, it promotes a deeper understanding of content, it helps make learning rewarding, builds initiative and self-direction, works in almost any classroom (depending on the age group) and it offers differentiated instruction.

Personal Connections to Inquiry-Based Learning: I had several opportunities in Elementary school to participate in inquiry based learning, whether this was in partners, individual or groups I found it to be very interesting and useful. In high school, I did a few individual inquiry- based learning projects, which allowed me to explore and research topics of my choice. By having a choice, I was more interested and motivated on coming to class and working on my project.

*I have also attached two spate Youtube videos which I found very useful and interesting. One video discusses the importance of inquiry based learning, and the other video explains what inquiry-based learning is.

The Importance of Inquiry Based Learning

What is Inquiry-Based Learning?